The October birthstone is Opal! Here are some quick, fun facts about this unique and colorful gemstone.
- The origin of the name Opal is derived from the Latin word "opalus" which means "a stone"
- Opal is the birthstone of the month of October which relates to the Zodiac Sign of Libra. Libra dates: September 24 - October 23
- Opals are not as fragile as most people believe. Opals are about has hard as a piece of glass.
- The majority of Opals are mined in Australia. Opals can also be found in Mexico, Africa, Brazil, and the United States.
- The "color play" in Opals is caused by tiny silica pieces in the gem that diffract light entering the stone.
- Opal comes in the following colors: colorless, white, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green, gray, brown, and black.